Monday, September 04, 2006

I understand I wrote a pointless journal yesterday. I didn’t even remember what I wrote; besides I don’t care what.

I found the reason that most Japanese cannot tell the difference between “L” and “R” sound. Oh don’t say you know it already. I understand this topic was so yesterday; anybody knows we do and why. But I should repeat why it happens, as a victim of this and exist as a broken English speaker as well as writer. Anyway, the reason we mix up R and L is because we have evil letters called “Katakana”. For people who never care about Japanese(I mean Japanese language, not people), you should give an explanation of Katakana. When Japanese people introduce some foreign languages, no matter western or eastern, we apply them to Katakana which prepares only Japanese sound. If you ever studied Japanese you probably knew that Japanese is extremely easy to pronounce. But the thing is, for Japanese there is no difference between Lice and Rice. Because originally Japanese don’t have neither R nor L sound—as far as I concern. So somebody who is apt to keep one’s tongue front might say “I ate lice this morning.” Way to go. Probably you’ll get good protein from them.

Another example—which is not too gross—is from a comic. You probably know Japan is famous for Anime and Manga. I’m not talking about them here now. My brother-in-law keep buying a weekly comic named “Jump”, the most famous kids magazine which I quit reading for a decade ago, because it’s so childish. Who in the world wants to read about a son of Satan visits from the hell and be a junior high school student and fall in love with a cute girl? What makes it worse, those kinds of stupid manga tend to be called off quickly for not having popularity and end with a terrible ending. Like the sunuva Satan ended up being human being or something then got married to the cute girl. OOPS I am wander from the subject. I wanted to talk about one manga in Jump. It’s called “To Love ru” “ru” is written in Japanese, but sounds like this. The name means “trouble” and “to love” In English, they sound completely different like telling a chimp from human. But, yet, however, being natural Japanese, they are same, as completely as possible. The manga’s author wants to say that falling in love with somebody causes trouble or something. Good, naming, it is…

We should quit using Katakana right now or people on earth will think insects is good for building fine brains.

By the way my English is sucks as well. So please don’t blame me for writing in broken English.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although the alternative to using Katakana is accepting all foreign words as they are. In English this means every word has a different origin and there is no way to guess how it's pronounced. This is a real pain in the ass too. I actually think the concept of Katakana is kind of cool. Plus, how do you know that people would be able to pronounce R's just by looking at them. For instance, in Texas there is a city named Amarillo. In Spanish, it means "yellow" and it sounds like ah-ma-ri-yo, but Americans all say ah-ma-ril-lo. So preserving the original spelling didn't really accomplish anything ... Like how many Americans can make the tsu should in Japanese? They can look at the spelling tsu and see it, but still they can't say it right. I was very proud of myself in Japanese class because I could say "tsu".

9:14 AM  
Blogger TCK said...

You got the point. Using Katakana does not make any difference if we can pronounce English words perfectly. We need real, real education of English not by teachers who never been out.

If you can make "tsu" sound; are free from difficulty of Japanese pronunciation.

Being Mexicanized Japanese, I think it's a shame calling Amarillo in different pronunciation. lol

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home