Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Well, it’s been a while; I have not written a post for days. I wanted but I didn’t; not because my fingers were numb all the time. Actually I got a heater in my room.

The reason I didn’t write for days is because I didn’t know how to describe about the bowling party it was taken place in last Saturday. Many things happened, but I couldn’t seem to sum them up well. So I was lingering. But today I will write about it with broken English. So excuse my English now.

About 2 weeks ago, I went to a party held by a British guy and met a woman inviting me to join TIA (Tokushima International Association). She told me on 16th they would have bowling party with international people. She guaranteed that would be fun. So I went to it. It would start 2pm but I went 12:30 for preparing for the party with some Japanese.

Oh I should say this first that the bowling party sucked.

I and some other Japanese arranged the place for the bowling party. We finished around 1pm. We had 1 more hour left for start. We didn’t have anything to do. We waited without a word. Eventually, Japanese participators started showing up. I was just standing near by the reception counter where an elderly woman who spoke really broken English. I only saw Japanese so thought no “international people” would come. But, all of a sudden Asian looked old guy spoke to me in English. I thought he was Japanese American or something at first. He was not, absolutely not. 3 seconds later, I found his English was also broken as shattered glass or run over cat. But we kept on talking in broken English. I asked him if he was Chinese or Korean or something.

“Oh, I am Japanese,” he said.
“Really, I thought you were American,” I told a fib. I was already bored with the bowling party.
“You know, many people is coming today. But bowling is boring, you know,” he said.
“Yeah I know many people are coming.” Said I. Oh let me one thing get straight. We pronounce “bowling” and “boring” in same way. So he was making a joke which no native English speaker understands; a pity joke. I didn’t get annoyed by his kid, because I do that way sometime, but by his mouth odor. He had bad breath which nearly was able to kill me in a sec. During the conversation, I was something of a boxer. I was jus concentrating to dodge the smell; couldn’t afford to understand him.

“You know, I can’t throw ball straight. It’s the problem.” He said.
“So is your breath,” I thought, but I didn’t say out loud. I wondered if I could throw a bowling ball. Finally he found another victim to kill. I said goodbye to him, and it was really good to tell you the truth.

It was around 2pm, and there were lots of foreigners. After the head of TIA’s speech, we separated into teams. My team mates were, one Japanese who was at the reception table, two Bangladeshis with two kids, and I. That was trouble too. I talked to those Bangladeshis in Japanese first, because many foreigners in Japan studied Japanese. It would be insulting them if they were able to speak Japanese. But those Bangladeshis couldn’t speak Japanese. They said they could speak English, but they didn’t technically.

Anyway, it started, but one Bangladeshi disappeared. I and the other Japanese searched him, but couldn’t find him. I went to the bathroom, he wasn’t there, however I found his kid in women’s bathroom. I nervously called his name and unfortunately he answered. I was outside of the women’s bathroom, I told him it was for women when he came out. He smiled as if to say I don’t care. When I and he came back to the lane, other teams already one third done, so we’ve got to be in hurry. But their kids kept disappearing and two Bangladeshis also kept disappearing to search kids. All right it still didn’t get on my nerves yet. What really knocked me out is whenever I and the other Japanese tried to lift our team’s spirits, those Bangladeshis never cared about it and kept talking to other Bangladeshis at next lane. Our entertaining misfired.

I myself really didn’t care to get good score in bowling all the time. But this time was different. I was serious not to lose to them. I and the other Japanese started concentrating into bowling, and that’s the only thing we could do. I looked around to see what was going on at other lanes. Most of teams looked having fun. Even some people were exchanging their E-mail addresses. I looked at our team. It was the last thing it would happen in our team.

I and the Japanese managed to finish 3 bitter games. At the half way through the game, I really wanted to get out the place and jump into my car and go to a movie all by my self. Anyway, it finished alright. For some reason, all of them scattered like spiders; they rushed out. I was also about to leave. Then the mouth smell guy talked to me all of a sudden.

“How was the score?” he asked.
“Not too bad, but it doesn’t matter.” I said he didn’t seem to understand what I meant. I realized only while talked with him I felt “international” that day. We parted in brief. I couldn’t stand the smell, anyhow. When I sat in my car, took a deep breathe and declared my self that I wouldn’t take part in like this boring bowling party anymore.

One Japanese woman and one Bangladeshi looking guy asked me if I was Japanese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home