Tuesday, December 21, 2010

money and willow

It was not a bad day after all. I thought it could be bad, but it actually turned out better than I expected. The big reason is that I did not have to work at the farm this afternoon. Twice a year I go to pick money up from a auction company in Kamojima, 30km away from where I live, when both hibiscus and poinsettia’s seasons are over.

This year I only delivered poinsettia 5 times to the auction company. As it is an auction company I had no idea how much money I was going to get. And the company does not send the result after an auction. So every time I go, I am really excited. Last three times the sales eclipsed my expectation and so did this time. My mother expected that that would be 50,000 yen at most. I did not even check how much I got when an office worker handed me rather thick notes. I just grabbed them and shoved into my wallet. On the way down to the first floor, the office located at the second floor, I caught glimpse of the number which was written on the paper she gave me. That read 100,000 yen. “Oh, my” I thought and immediately called my mother. She was really excited, and I was also excited, but in a different way. I thought I might have been able to get some money from the sales, due to the better sale. Without asking she said I could have some money. Yay, I bought a bottle of really cheap wine to have a good dinner. I cannot afford a good meal, but wine surely makes a crappy meal better. Anyway, even though the wine was really cheap, it still was Chilean. No wine could be truly bad form Chile. I once bought a Californian wine, of course rather cheap, and that was terrible.

After I picked up the money, I headed for south to ship willows. We sort of grow willows at a field which gets flooded every time it rains heavily. My father usually cooperate with his friend to cut willows and colour them into either silver or gold. The brightly coloured willow is supposed to be a good luck for New year. However this year the friend couldn’t spare any time with my father, so we just had bundles of willow. My father does not have any knowledge about colouring. So what he did, he asked another friend who is a willow farmer to colour the willows we cut from the field. My father instead of telling him he wanted to sell them at a shop said he had to give the coloured willows to relatives. The willow dude believed there were relatives in dire need for golden willow. The truth is my father wants to know if he can make plenty of money out of willow. There is no such a absurd relative who needs a truck full of stupidly coloured twigs.

This morning we tied them up in 47 bundles that literally made a truck full of amount. I hope the willow guy won’t go to the shop to see his job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home