Monday, October 30, 2006

I biked this morning with my father; it was just about 15km ride, but it was fun as usual. Bike riding, people my age never know or just forgot how fun that is. Especially people, over 20, in rural place, like Tokushima, ride a car. They never think bike is useful, some how…well I don’t know. Anyway, I love biking; if you know me well you know that.

One thing good about bicycle is that you won’t be disturbed by noise with mortar or engine or whatever. I feel I am cutting through the wind that’s a big reason I ride bike. Another thing, it takes me really far. One you believe a bike, it will show you how much they can do. When I was in high school, I hit on an idea that going to neighbor prefecture and would come back same day. I asked my friend to do with me. I had a mountain bike, pretty much heavy. And my friend just had a Mamachari, a type of bicycle which is particularly used by people biking around neighbors, not for neighbor prefecture. We didn’t have any idea how long it would take and how far. To tell you the truth, it was over 400km long and we took exactly 25 hours to come back. 1.04 day it was eh? It was winter, and we had to pass a big mountain. We got there alright; as soon as we got to the destination, headed right back. It was heck. But also super fun and we realized that probably not too many people would die without knowing this fun.

I still bike that long occasionally. This May, I did 380km for one day. There were lots of mountain passes. I’ve done in 17 hours. And this summer, two of my friends and I did 713km for three days—started from Shizuoka prefecture (looking out on pacific ocean) to Niigata (Japanese ocean) and then came back to Tokyo. And we biked up at the point of 2000m high. People who drove up there were looking at us. Their faces were as much as to say “Why in the world are you biking up to the top?” They never get answer. It was not about getting the top, of course that was part of the reason, was about riding bike itself. We know how fun riding bike is, and we want to feel bike, destination is just to know how much we have done.

Well I guess my writing getting less made sense, I will stop here. But here is the thing, if you are tired of your town, you will see something new when you bike around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home