Monday, April 21, 2008

In the box

I hadn’t written for any journal for a while. I had to give a speech at Toastmasters. Well, that cannot be an excuse however I was pretty much preoccupied with that. And yet I made a crappy speech yesterday. So that sucks.

Anyway I have to some things to write down here, or I forget what happened recently. The biggest thing was my dog, about 16 year-old, died from old age. I and she practically grew up together. She was a pretty nice smart dog. Besides she knew how to hunt animals and stuff. This might sound crucial, but you should’ve seen her hunting a snake. When I was about 13, I was walking across the front yard at our house. I saw a snake also wriggling across the yard. The dog was right next to me. And there was another dog which died 2 years ago. They started circling around the snake. One did clockwise and the other did counterclockwise. There was no way to get out for the snake. It didn’t even raise its head to scare the dogs. That must have been scared. One of the dogs bit the snake’s tail and shook it while the snake kept its eyes on the other one. Snake had been smashed on the concrete. In brief, the other dog did the same thing. This action had been done till the snake died. And as for snake, every time it crushed onto the ground, it disgorged a mouse. They smelled like hell. As soon as the snake died, I picked it up with twigs and threw it away. When I came back to the place, I found no mouse. Those dogs’ mouse smelled like rotten meet. They must have eaten.

Well, I am not saying the dog was disgusting. She was smart, I mean. Anyway, she entertained me a lot and gave me a good time.

We knew she was dying by her mouth. Something was growing in her mouth. It could be a cancer. One side of her mouth was puffed up and the ramp made her face was slightly crooked. She had it since last year. Her legs also went weak. It must be from her age. 10 days before the day she died, she couldn’t walk anymore. Then we knew she was going to die.

The strange thing of our family ritual, we throw a dog into a river when it dies. Without exception, this time also we threw the dog into the river near our house. I got phone call from my mother that morning. She told me the dog died and it must not be long ago. It was about 6 am. I biked as fast as possible to get to our farm. I didn’t find her where she was living. I turned around and found a big cardboard. I knew exactly what it contained: the dog. My father put already put it in.

We got to the river around noon. We were careful not to be seen, because throwing dog is not allowed by the law. However there was a man hanging around the bridge. We decided not to bother to wait him leave. We would just dump the box into the river. My father and I carried the box to the middle of the bridge. And on count three, we dumped it into the water. We stayed a while to say good bye to the dog. We came back to our car; we parked the end of the bridge. Nevertheless, unluckily the wind was very strong that day and it blew the box towards us. Within 1 minute the box landed on the riverside where right beneath where we were. It got stuck. We could do anything so we left there, hoping the box would find the way out.

Usually we don’t go back to where we threw a dog away. But this time, one of our co-workers’ daughter wrote a letter to the dog. The kid rarely met the dog, though. I don’t think the dog could read Japanese even it was alive. Anyway, my mother and I went back to the bridge. We really hoped we wouldn’t see the box again. But we did. The cardboard got heck out of the stuck, but got stuck again. We stopped at the middle of the bridge and yelled “good-bye” to the dog and threw the letter into the water.

This is the biggest thing happened since I wrote till today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home