Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Let's go to a picnic or something

You don’t know how much Japanese mothers want their kids to be fluent in English. As if they don’t give a flying f—k about our own language, Japanese.

When my sister had her daughter, Yuka, three years ago she wavered if she had to have the baby join an English program sometime soon. I didn’t dare to point out that the eyes hadn’t opened yet. I knew she would notice that sometime soon before she found a good English class for her. Anyhow, 2 years passed and she decided to buy a crappy English study kit which Yuka never showed interest. I also found dumb in the study thingy. Yuka is not the one to blame. She’s got some DVD, books and garbage. The funny part was DVD. I watched some part of them. In each story, there is a guy named Mr. Eric who is strange and loud with harsh voice. Simply you cannot stand his voice. I couldn’t. What makes things worse, he sings!! in a very bad way. The company should’ve picked more compatible person in the first place. And the books, those text books; as soon as you open you will see very disgusting pictures. And if you touch those pictures with a special pen, the Mr. Eric guy’s voice comes out of the book. This time you feel dizzy and crave to chuck it in a bin. But you can’t because that whole thing costs you about 1,000 dollars.

The 1,000 dollar’s case is still better one. One of my acquaintances has a 2 year-old kid and guess how much he paid for an English study thingy. 8,000 dollars for heaven’s sake. You can buy a cheap car!! However the curriculum is powered by Disney. First I thought they aren’t satisfied with their success in movies, rat’s lands, and suing people for piracy, but according to the father that works very well.

“What exactly does that thing do to your kid?” I asked.
“That enables kids to learn English as first language, so that way my daughter speaks like American.” He beamed.
I paused a second, wondering if I should tell him Americans are not the only people speak English, besides English wasn’t from there. “Oh that’s fantastic,” I murmured instead. “what else?”
“Oh yes, now my daughter names things in English, like ‘an apple’. She thinks an apple is an apple not in Japanese, ‘ringo’”
“Oh that’s big deal” I said.

Well, I found the problem, even though that’s excellent, that kids cannot use the 8,000 bucks worth thing forever. Probably by the age 5 they have to give up with that. They no longer want mouse guys and ducks keep asking you “what colour is the sea?” They may want to answer like “maybe you mouse man want me to say ‘blue’, however if you take a look closely it’s actually transparent or translucent for pollution” or “the colour changes by your feeling.” like a thinker. Anyway, it’s good only for 3 years then you have to go to send your kids to an English school which costs you 100 bucks a month. Think how much you pay for kids to be fluent in English.

Disney thing: 8,000 dollars (3 yr-5 yr)
School: 100 dollars times 12 (month) times 15 (years) is equal to 18,000 dollars…
So you need 26,000 dollars for one kid at least. And there is no guarantee you kid will be whiz at English. What is more, your kid may want to be a dairy farmer.

Why don’t you, Japanese mothers, put off English education a while and spend time with your kids?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home